I went gluten-free flour shopping on Saturday and the trip was a complete failure. All of the recipes I've found need two kinds of flour to replace wheat flour:
1. White Rice Flour
2. Sweet Rice Flour
Apparently sweet rice flour acts as a thickening agent (I didn't realize there would be quite so much chemistry involved in this endeavor). I was only able to find white rice flour, so I couldn't make any of the recipes I had in mind.
I did, however, find a baking mix for gluten-free biscuits. I figured a mix was pretty lame, but that it would be much safer than just leaving the sweet rice flour out of the from-scratch-recipes. I made the biscuits for breakfast on Sunday and they came out looking and feeling exactly as biscuits should - slightly crispy and crumbly. Unfortunately, even though they were exactly the right texture, the biscuits had the most horrible aftertaste.
Later that day after I got home from seeing Jane Eyre with my grandmother (the movie was ok, but it had exactly the same soundtrack as pride and prejudice) I was starving and searching my apartment for anything edible (and gluten-free of course). I came across a box of risotto that I had bought several months prior and never made because the instructions seemed to difficult i.e. what the heck does saute mean?? I firmly believe that food that comes in a box should never have such a difficult step involved. Fortunately I was able to figure it out and the risotto perfectly masked the taste of the biscuits.
I'm going to try to make a gluten-free cake for my brother's birthday on Saturday, but I need that darn sweet rice flour, does anyone know where I could find some?

No comments:
Post a Comment