Day 5 - Cortez to Flagstaff, AZ
Hours: 7
Stayed with:
Ken
(My mom's
cousin)
States: 2 -
CO and AZ
Our first stop today was a place I've always wanted to go - Four Corners Monument - and we were in 4 states at once. The monument is on a Native American Reservation and is not a hyped-up tourist attraction at all which was very nice to see. An added bonus was that all four states at four corners were states I'd never been to. Normally I don't count a state unless I've eaten a meal or stayed there overnight, but four corners was so cool that I'm going to make an exception for Utah and New Mexico.
We then spent the whole afternoon at the Grand Canyon driving from one vista point to the next and bravely exploring some of the more accessible rocks. We went to the visitor center and were completely overwhelmed by all of the things you could do there - hiking, helicopter rides, boat rides - so we just walked around pretty aimlessly, had dinner, and rode the free bus.
Getting to spend 6 hours here completely made up for the marathon driving the past two days. One look of the canyon and we completely forgot that we'd just spent two 13-hour days in the car.
| This guy wouldn't get out of my picture |
| This pose is called 'owling' by the way... |
| ...for those of you uninformed in the art of posing |
We've already started planning a return trip because you need to spend at least a month there to see all of the cool stuff and appropriately explore from land, water, and sky.
After the canyon we drove about an hour to Flagstaff, AZ to stay with my mom's cousin who was nice enough to host us for the evening.
I tried to narrow down the pictures for the post, but completely failed so just enjoy how lovely we look at the Grand Canyon ;-).
| Fake scared... |
| We totally climbed down this hill |
| ...real scared. |
No comments:
Post a Comment