Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Adventures in Delicious

So lots of people I know are really into live blogging. I know I'm not technically using this term correctly, but what I mean is documenting things they... do. Some are into exercising, others cooking. But either way, they're taking pictures of things they do well step-by-step and explaining each part of the process. I figured I'd give it a try.

I like to bake, but rarely have an occasion to do so (and unfortunately am not a huge dessert fan myself). Tonight I was bored. Of course I have more work to do, but I already worked today from 8-6 so that's not happening. I started watching an episode of Cupcake Wars (check it out - really) and one of the contestants was having an absurd amount of trouble properly making Italian Meringue Buttercream. I should probably mention - I have a habit of watching Cupcake Wars and then trying to make whatever the contestants mess up. I'd like to think that I do it to challenge myself, but let's face it, I do it to prove I'm better than them. (We can all just ignore the fact that the circumstances aren't comparable - I have no time limit and no pressure - right?)

Anyway, tonight I decided to try my hand at Italian Buttercream. I have no idea what it's for, what it's supposed to taste like, look like, feel like (I'm assuming delicious?). I always start by googling (yes it's a verb now, I studied it in grad school) recipes and, through a personally-developed-highly-sophisticated-evaluation-process, chose the one that I deemed best. In this case, that means the one I already had all of the ingredients for. Let's face it: that's always how I choose a recipe because I hate going to the grocery store.

Step 1: Beat egg whites until you don't want to hold a mixer anymore 



Step 2: Heat sugar and water until it is dissolved and boiling (apparently 235F is right - and yes, for some reason I have a candy thermometer)



Step 3: Add sugar water to frothing eggs and beat until you have marshmallow fluff (technically meringue, but it was shockingly fluff-like)



Step 4: Butter (that's been hiding in the background warming to room temperature)






















Step 5: Continue beating until you want to die and it looks like your efforts are only producing cottage cheese
















Step 6: And then beat it some more. This part was very much like the Asparagus Soup phase of risotto (I suppose I'll have to explain that one later). But basically it's the phase when it looks like what you're making will always be disgusting and you want to give up because your tolerance-for-stirring time expired 20 minutes ago and everything is disgusting and always will be until it isn't anymore.



Step 7: Ta da! Unfortunately I didn't think this one all the way through and may or may not have forgotten to look into what this frosting(? I think it's frosting... or filling? It's probably frosting - at least it's frosting-like) is actually supposed to be eaten on/with. If anyone has any great recipes that call for an Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting, let me know!



P.S. It's delicious at every step. Trust me, I know from experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment